Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Carrot Cakes!

Well, this morning, we woke up to a beautiful snow-covered day. I wish I had taken pictures by the river yesterday, because now its too icy to go get some good shots. Here's the best I could do:


The mail building. HAH. Anyways, I had ordered a pancake pan with some leftover wedding gift cards to Crate and Barrel, and thought it was a perfect morning to make silver dollar pancakes. Look at this guy!



So anyways, I made Carrot Pancakes. You could adapt this recipe to make chocolate chip, blueberry, banana, pumpkin, etc. Here is the BASIC recipe:

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups milk (I used skim)
2 tablespoons EVOO
1/4 t vanilla

Optionals:

2-3 carrots (plus a pinch of nutmeg and 1/2t cinnamon)
or
2 bananas (plus a 1/2t cinnamon)
or
1 cup blueberries
or
1 cup pumpkin
or
chocolate chips (These can go in any pancake of course!)

So, you'll want to mix together all of the dry ingredients. If you are making carrot pancakes, you will need to peel them, and throw them in a food processor with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and milk and blend until smooth. You don't want chunky pancakes, do you? It will yield a frothy orange mixture.


Add wet ingredients and milk mixture. Stir and combine well. Obviously if you don't have the pancake pan, just heat a griddle or a skillet and ladle the size of pancakes you want. Lucky for me, i had the pan



There they are! Little orange carrot cakes cooking up! I haven't mentioned it yet, but these are very healthy! No added sugar and they are very sweet due to the carrot and vanilla.

It will yield about 18 pancakes if you make them small, probably only 6-8 if you make larger pancakes!



We had plenty for 2 of us, with leftovers. Pour on some syrup, or whatever you put on pancakes. Honey would go well on these, but my husband prefers the sugar-free syrup on his!



Enjoy :) And try a different version of these pancakes! If carrot isn't your thing, you have many options!

No comments:

Post a Comment