This recipe was inspired by my lack of diversity in my lunch menu. Everyday I take the SAME lunch to work and it gets depressing by mid-week. I initiated the change at the grocery store by deciding I WOULD attempt to make a healthy chicken salad to put on a sandwich or on top of lettuce! I'd call it a success, but, see for yourself! I actually should say, TRY for yourself, because, my picture doesn't really do it justice!
Its healthy OF COURSE. Minimal mayo! Maximized on the benefits of Greek Yogurt which has multiple health benefits (and lots of protein!)
Here you go:
- 2 cups of cooked chicken (shredded or cubed)
- 1 T light mayonaise
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (I use reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely diced granny smith apple
- About 20 red grapes sliced in half
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Fresh tarragon (can use dried)
- Fresh basil (can use dried)
- Fresh parsley (can use dried)
- You could add almonds (I forgot)
- You could add about 1/4 tsp of ground corriander
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well! If there are other ingredients you would like to add, just go for it! Like i said, almonds would work great, maybe some finely diced onion!
Another option would be to send it through a food processor for a smooth consistency. If you do this, save the grapes and apples for last. You will want them whole :)
Enjoy :) I know I enjoyed a new lunch!