Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sesame Stir Fry - You chose your meat!

So this is another recipe from Eating For Life! Such a great cookbook. Recipes are pretty simple, pretty cheap, but very tasty, light, and healthy! This recipe called for ground beef, but you all know me by now. I avoid red meat for the most part and go for the whites! I chose ground chicken because it was cheaper than ground turkey, but your options are endless! Have fun with this! I doubled the recipe (intending to have leftovers)-but if you half this, you would be JUST FINE!



Ingredients:

1 pound ground meat
2 T Sesame Oil
2 cups Napa Cabbage, shredd
2 cups Broccoli Slaw
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked brown rice
One bundle of green onions
2 T Lite Soy Sauce
Ground Red Pepper to taste

Method:


First, cook your rice according to box directions. My brown rice takes about 45 minutes, so don't start the next step right away! 

Next, when rice is coming to a finish in cooking time, in a wok or large skillet, brown your meat until no longer pink. I used a WOK, of course :) Once finished, drain of any excess liquid and set aside.

Heat Sesame Oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and green onions. Stir fry constantly for about 2 minutes and then throw in the cabbage and the slaw. Cook again, for about 2 minutes. 



Drain rice. Add to veggie mix. Add soy sauce to entire combination. Continue to cook 2-5 minutes.



Lastly, add your ground meat to the rice and veggies and cook until flavors and components are well combined. Add red pepper to taste and serve!



We really liked this dish, and I know you will too!

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment