Now, let me also say, this is BEST served over spaghetti (duh, like spaghetti and meatballs!)- but I ran out of time and was too lazy to dirty another pot, so, we had them plain! MAKE THE PASTA! So worth the full effect! Here we go:
Start by making your sauce:
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (fire roasted if you can find them)
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 large chipotle in adobo sauce, minced (if you like it HOT, add 2: Amanda Tucker ONLY USE ONE)
- 2 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Saute your onion for about 5 minutes, or until it turns translucent. Then add in your garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Add remaining ingredients (except basil!) and cook for 10 minutes and let liquid get thick!
Meanwhile, work on making your meatballs:
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken) meat
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread pulsed into crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T minced fresh parsley
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lots of fresh ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and form into small balls. It should give you about 12 if you make them the right size!
Pop them in the oven (ON BROIL) for 10 minutes.
Once they come out, well browned, and mostly cooked through, add them to your sauce!
*If you are making spaghetti, start it at this point!*
Let meatballs cook while pasta is cooking. Cover them. Remove sprig of rosemary and throw in your fresh basil.
Once spaghetti is done, drain, and then add to large pot with meatballs and sauce. Serve and garnish with fresh Parmesan and chopped parsley
Serve it up, and enjoy! These are to die for!