Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry- IN THE WOK!

Okay, so this was delicious! We both loved it! Not too pricey, not too complicated. Pretty perfect if you are a garlic fan. NOTE: ALL THOSE WHO DISLIKE GARLIC... STEER CLEAR OF THIS RECIPE. 12 CLOVES REQUIRED!



Anyways, I made this dish in my new wok, which was awesome! I snapped a picture just because I was so happy to use another new kitchen appliance! Coming soon- THE PASTA MAKER! Thats besides the point though! You cook this dish without the lid, so be ready for your kitchen to smell like PARADISE (If China is paradise to you!) So, anyways, I marinated the chicken all day (it only requires about 30 minutes), but after that, i whipped this baby up in about 10 or 15 minutes!



I served it with brown rice, but I would recommend basmati or jasmine rice just due to the nature of the dish! Sometimes its worth it to bypass the healthy rice in a dish like this! I'LL DO IT NEXT TIME!




So, I realize this picture is a LITTLE blurry, but it was such a close up of the chicken, scallions, and mushrooms, I just couldn't resist!!! Here's the recipe:

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
2 T EVOO
1 pound chicken (I used tenders) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups water
3 T Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1 T Rice Wine Vinegar
1 T cornstarch
10 scallions, biased cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup thin sliced fresh mushrooms
12 cloves of garlic, peeled, and minced (I ran them through a garlic press!)
You could throw water chestnuts in, but I chose not to!

2 cups cooked rice, whichever you prefer!

Whisk together water, soy sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Marinate at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve marinade.  Add cornstarch to marinade, stir, and reserve.
Heat oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Stir fry the scallions, garlic, and mushrooms in the wok for about 3 minutes, remove and reserve.
Add chicken to the wok and stir fry until no longer pink. Push chicken away from the center of the wok, and add cornstarch mixture to center. Stir fry until thick and bubbly. Return veggies to the wok and cook together about 1 more minute.
Serve over rice.

YUMMMMMY! This is a keeper! Enjoy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment