Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lime Pepper Chicken and Whole Wheat Couscous!

Lime Pepper Chicken and Whole Wheat Couscous


Our first real dinner, alone, at our apartment, since the honeymoon!!! This dinner was pretty good if I do say so myself! Nick seemed to enjoy it, but I still think its too early on for him to actually express any dislike of what I cook! Anyways, this was an easy marinade which only calls for 30 minutes in the fridge, but i gave it a good 10 hours since I had the time to plan ahead and do so! I just put some salsa in some condiment cups as a little dipping sauce (could be heated, but we ate it cold), and then I served some whole wheat couscous plain on the side!



The chicken was delicious! The marinade is the juice of one lime, a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of dried thyme, salt, pepper, and 1 large clove of minced garlic. Really easy, but really good! I baked it in the oven at 375 for about an hour, but I think it was done a little sooner! I need to purchase a meat thermometer with some of the gift cards we have to get better cooking times going, but it wasn't dried out at all! We loved it!




A pretty square meal indeed, here is a rough version of the recipe I used:

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Couscous

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lime, zested and then juiced
1 large clove of garlic, minced or crushed
1 T Olive Oil
1 tsp dried thyme or basil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
Any kind of salsa you prefer
1 cup whole wheat couscous

Put chicken in a tupperware. Mix all other ingredients together with a whisk and then pour over chicken. Keep in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better! When ready, preheat oven to 375, and bake 45 minutes to an hour in a shallow baking dish.

Wait until the chicken is about 10 minutes from being done and cook couscous according to box directions! Ouila! Easy, delicious, and cheap! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment