Another thing- this meal is pretty healty. You can choose low carb/low fat tortillas, and skim cheese, and you've got a well rounded, HEALTHY meal. See for yourself!
2 pounds of lean ground turkey (you could use ground chicken or ground beef as well)
2 T Olive Oil
1/2 large red onion, chopped
2 T Chili Powder
2 t Cumin
1 cup Frozen Corn Kernels (I prefer yellow over white for this recipe)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 cup taco sauce or 14 oz of stewed or FIRE ROASTED tomatoes! *I use taco sauce*
Salt to taste
8- 8'' whole wheat, or spinach tortillas *I prefer spinach tortillas, but used wheat this time*
2 1/2 cups shredded mexican or cheddar cheese (I use part skim)
Here we go. Don't blink, its so easy.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
1. In a LARGE skillet, brown the turkey in the oil with the onions, chili powder, and cumin until turkey is no longer pink
2. Add corn, taco sauce, and beans. Salt to taste.
3. Once it has simmered about 3-5 minutes and warmed through, you're ready to layer.
4. Quarter your tortillas into wedges.
5. In a 9X13 pan, put a layer of the turkey mixture. Top with tortillas. Top those with cheese. Another layer of meat, tortillas, top with cheese. I usually only do 2 layers, but do whatever you have room for!
6. Bake 12-15 minutes in the oven until cheese is brown and bubbly.
Cut it up and serve it. I found a new trick for slicing it. PIZZA CUTTER. It worked SO well. Cut right through the tortillas and cheese without ruining the layers!
ALSO: If you have 2- 10X10 dishes, try following the recipe and making it in two separate pans. Put one in the oven, cover the second and put it in the freezer for future recipes! Especially if there are only 2 of you at home! That way, you just take it out one day, pop it in the oven for probably 30-45 minutes and its ready to go without all the prep work! ENJOY!