Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Authentic Chipotle Chicken Tacos

I found this recipe on another website, and kind of tweaked it to make it my own. Nick and I really enjoyed these tacos. We had found these AWESOME corn tortillas at Kroger (of all places). They were very soft and very tasty! You could put these on tortillas, hard tacos, or just serve it over lettuce and make a taco salad type dish. Either way you eat it, you'll enjoy it, guaranteed! I, of course, made the staple - SPANISH RICE. I'll give you the link to that later on!



Ingredients for Chicken Tacos:

2-2.5 pounds chicken (Boiled and shredded)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced thinly
5 garlic cloves, minced
3-5 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (I used 4- not too spicy)
28 ounces diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Pico de Gallo
1 large red onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 lime

Start by making the Pico de Gallo. You want to make this as far in advance as possible. The longer it sits, the better it gets. General rule for all pico de gallos/salsas/etc. I made mine probably 4 or 5 hours ahead of time. Just combine the red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze the wedge of lime over top and toss. Put in the fridge and forget about it!


Now, if you haven't already, boil your chicken, allow it to cool, and shred it up. This can be done ahead of time and can sit in the fridge as well. The sauce will reheat the chicken when you add it to the pot!

In a large pot, add your olive oil and cook onions and garlic until very soft. 


While they soften, in a food processor or blender, combine remaining ingredients. (Chipotle peppers, tomatoes, cumin, nutmeg, chicken broth.) Puree until smooth.

Pour the sauce into the pan with the onions once they are softened. Cook about 5 minutes, and then add the shredded chicken to the pot.



You'll want to cook this down until the majority of the sauce is absorbed by the meat and the dish is heated throughout (This does NOT take exceptionally long)

If you are interested in serving rice alongside, why don't you make some of my Spanish Rice
*Note: If using brown rice, it takes about 40ish minutes for rice to fully cook, so allow for that time. White rice won't take nearly as long*

Also, sprinkle some of that leftover cilantro from the pico de gallo over the rice before serving. YUM!



Ready to plate it up? Lay out your tacos and top with some meat


Give them each a hefty scoop of pico de gallo



Pass them around, and enjoy :) We loved them and will be making them again!

8 comments:

  1. They are :) Hope you get a chance to try them :)

    PS- we loved the little easy burritos off your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, these look amazing!! Are you talking about the la tortilla factory corn tortillas? I've thought about picking those up from our Kroger...

    P.S. I bought the ingredients to make your meatloaf!! Should be posting about it soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything tacos. This recipe looks amazing :) I love all the flavors.

    Found your blog through Homecookedem. I am so glad she linked you. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom on the Run: Thanks for checking it out :) Spread the word, and let me know if you try any recipes!

    Homecooked: Can't remember the name on the tacos- but when I see them again, I will let you know!

    Let me know how that meatloaf works out, we love it soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! It looks like you got some real authentic corn tortillas too! I'll definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a newlywed and new to your blog! Love it! And these chicken tacos look amazing! I love tacos tons and tons! I look forward to following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck- let me know how it goes :)

    Nicole- thanks for following! I hope you enjoy the ride!!

    ReplyDelete