Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Peanut Butter and Banana STUFFED French Toast ... Elvis Style!

So, I've been wanting to make my own french toast for a VERY long time. I've heard of "Elvis Pancakes" where you put bananas in the pancakes along with some peanut butter, so I figured, you can do it with french toast I bet! It was a success. This breakfast is TO DIE FOR. Believe me. For all of you healthy eaters, this isn't a splurge! Its all healthy ingredients. Check it out!


6 slices of whole wheat bread
2 bananas, sliced in half, and then sliced in half again (see photo later on)
Creamy Peanut Butter for spreading
3-4 fresh eggs
1/2 cup milk or half and half, whatever you have on hand
1/4 cup orange juice (can be fresh squeezed)
3 t vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon


Get ready to drool......

Whisk together eggs, milk, orange juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to make batter for dipping. Set aside.



Lay out your slices of bread and cover each slice with a layer of peanut butter



Note: Don't go nuts-o on the peanut butter. It will melt down and turn into more than you realize. Yes, I put too much on mine. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, but less would have been more!

Now place your bananas on 3 of the slices. You should have half of a banana leftover. Slice up and save for serving!



Dip these guys into the batter you made and place them in a skillet over medium heat. (Spray your skillet with cooking spray)

I cooked 2, and then 1. Work with whatever size skillet you have!



Cook about 2 minutes and then flip them on over!

Remove and top with fresh sliced bananas.



And then some syrup.....



And just try to stop yourself from licking the plate:



ENJOY :) We L-O-V-E-D them!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! Let's have these when we get the chance to do breakfast cooking together...at the beach? I definitely want to try them, but don't want to make them for myself! Maybe for my birthday you could cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love your blog!!! Your friend Candice just told me about it, I work with her!! :) This breakfast is sooooo my style!! Love it, looks so yummy and healthy!! :) I need to make this SOON!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my jeeze!! Peanut butter and bananas are my favorite combo. I know my little bro and sis would love these! I'm making these for them when they come visit! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie: I would love to make you some for breakfast any day, but especially on your birthday :)

    Homecooked: I love that Candice shared this with you! She's just wonderful! I hope you find time to make these and ENJOY THEM!

    Kat: You'll have to let me know how the siblings like them! We had the crispy southwest wraps/burritos last night and LOVED THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably the best creation EVER!!! Loved it!! I told my mom about them as well, and she saw the pictures on your blog.. needless to say, she will be making them almost as often as me!! :D
    YUM!

    ReplyDelete