- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 small-medium zucchini, diced (chopped small)
- 1 onion finely diced (red or sweet)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can of any kind of tomatoes (stewed, diced, chopped, you name it!)
- Basil if you have it, oregano if you have it, any fresh herbs you'd like!
- Pepper (I never add salt to dishes with canned ANYTHING, but you can!)
- 1/2 cup (Or more) of grated Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling on top
Now, those of you who are extremely loyal followers, you'll notice I made the standard beans... AGAIN. You must understand, these beans are like $2 for a huge bag. And they are my GO-TO vegetable for us. I will most likely force feed my children green beans in the future if I am still making them as frequently as I do now.
Anyways, back to the reason you are even reading this post in the first place! Here are your directions. Simple, I promise:
1. Cook your squash. You have options. You can bake it, you can nuke it (microwave it) OR you can do my personal fave: boil it for about half an hour in a large stock pot until fork tender.
2. Once you get the squash going, saute your onion and garlic in a little olive oil in a small skillet. Add your zucchini and tomatoes. Simmer over low heat until your squash is ready. At the LAST minute, add any herbs, seasonings, and pepper.
3. Drain squash and use a fork to get the squash out of the shell. Mix in a large bowl with sauce and add your cheese to your hearts content!
4. Serve and enjoy :) I promise you won't be disappointed with this meal! Your men will be pleasantly surprised. And so will your credit card at the grocery store.
If your husband is a meat only at meals type guy... you could easily mix ground beef into this sauce or cook some of my Chicken Parmesan to go alongside :) Just some quick suggestions!