Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mexican Turkey and Rice Skillet Dinner!

Today Nick and I cooked and ate dinner together for the first time at the new apartment! I settled on making a Mexican Turkey and Rice Skillet Dinner. I realize this isn't the MOST appetizing picture, but all i had on me was my iphone and so I had to take some low quality footage! The meal was good, healthy, cheap... and will go into my "keeper recipe" memory.



Here was our shopping list, prices included. The first list was our startup cost... however, since we were stocking up on some items, I provided a second budget for the future shopping list and price tag of this dinner! And finally, at the bottom, the recipe and instructions!

Our Bill at Kroger today:

1 yellow onion: $0.92
2 lb Uncle Ben brown rice (NOT INSTANT!): $2.99
1 lb lean ground Perdue turkey: $4.19
2 lb sugar: $1.69
14.5 oz can cut green beans: $0.99
14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes: $0.53
Hot Sauce: $0.89

Total Spending for the first time apartment buyers: $12.14 (Not even too bad!)

BUT NOW THAT WE HAVE SOME BASIC INGREDIENTS, CHECK OUT THE FUTURE SPENDINGS:

14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes: $0.53
14.5 oz can cut green beans: $0.99
1 lb lean ground Perdue turkey: $4.19
1 yellow onion: $0.92

Total spending when repeating this recipe: $6.63

Might I add that this recipe serves 4! We had leftovers!!

Mexican Turkey and Rice Skillet Dinner Recipe:

1 lb lean ground turkey
1.5 cups cooked brown rice
14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
14.5 oz can cut green beans, drained
1 T sugar
1 t Worcestire Sauce
1/2 t ground mustard
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t salt
1/8 t fresh ground black pepper
1/8 t hot sauce

Brown the turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain, and then add remaining ingredients to pan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 10-12 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment