Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Eat your Veggies .... "Pasta Parmesan!"

To be quite honest, this meal was a pleasant surprise. I had cooked 4 meals this week, none of which had substantial leftovers for Thursday evening. Knowing i had endless options of pasta in the pantry (as always!) I started to brainstorm a pasta dish. I knew I had carrots to work with, and I had bought a bag of frozen chopped broccoli for $1 at Kroger for no intentional purpose whatsoever! It worked out mighty fine I must say. This is a simple recipe.


 Takes less than 15 minutes to get on the table. Nick LOVED it. I was pretty nervous to serve this up considering it was a conglomeration of leftovers and everything but the kitchen sink basically. We left NOTHING in the pan by the end of the night. I'll be making it again!

I'm sure you're thinking, okay - enough - get to the recipe already. And I will. But let me also emphasize, this is PRETTY DARN HEALTHY!

Ingredients:

9oz pasta (Any kind you want- I used skinny whole wheat penne)
1 cup of shredded carrot
1 cup of frozen broccoli (mini or chopped) cooked 
1/4 cup light Italian Dressing
1 tsp sugar
Fresh ground black pepper
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to package directions
2. If you haven't already, cook your frozen broccoli 
3. While pasta is cooking, add oil to a medium sized skillet. Once hot, add carrot, dressing, vinegar, sugar, and pepper. Cook about 2-3 minutes until soft.


4. Remove from heat. 
5. Drain pasta.
6. In a medium-large bowl, combine pasta, carrot mixture, and broccoli. Add cheese and toss together until well combined. Serve!



Enjoy :)

There's no way you COULDN'T enjoy this. SO fast. SO easy. SO yummy.




1 comment: