Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tomato-Balsamic GLAZED Mini Meatballs - Restaurant Quality!

These were EXCELLENT. To be honest, I over cooked mine a little, and would have prefered that I had doubled the glaze, but, STILL, they were delicious! Great flavor combination, great taste. The recipe calls for ground chicken (which would be great!) but I had ground turkey on hand, so, use either! Buy whatever is cheaper in my opinion, because both will work!



Ingredients for the Meatballs:

1 egg
2 T dried parsley
1 T tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup milk (I used skim- any kind will be fine)
1/2 tsp kosher salt (or regular)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese (I used a Kroger Brand Parmesan Reggiano!)
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I made my own out of plain wheat bread)

Ingredients for your Glaze:

1 T tomato paste
1 T Olive Oil
3/5 T Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar (I used a Truvia packet!)

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together youregg,  parsley, tomato paste, garlic, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk until tomato paste is completely dissolved and there are no remaining "Chunks."


Add your chicken or turkey, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Mix well (using your hands) and shape into mini meatballs (A mini ice cream scoop would work, but I just eyeballed it)


Make your glaze by whisking together sugar, tomato paste, olive oil, and balsamic. Brush, or spoon, over each meatball. You may decide you want more glaze!


Pop these little guys in the oven 30ish minutes, or until cooked to an internal temp of 165 for turkey, 170 for chicken.

Remove and place on a plate. Drizzle with balsamic vingar.



Here's a close up of these yummy little meatballs!


They were FULL of flavor. Serve with couscous, orzo, pasta, whatever you like/have!

We devoured them!


Enjoy :)









4 comments:

  1. These look amazing!! ill make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for dinner. They are very yummy! We ate them ALL! Dad even liked them alot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious! how much meat does the recipe call for?? and also what is 3/5 of a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar? does that just mean almost 1 full tablespoon? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naomi, 1 pound of meat, and that was a typo! I meant 3-5 T balsamic! I will fix it in the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete