Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bean Stew, Stuffed Tomatoes.... and THEY'RE BACK! 3 ingredient cookies GO MUFFIN!

Yes, so much to blog here. It's been awhile, huh? Yesterday I made some really good burgers and sweet potato fries, but.... we ate all of it and I took ZERO pictures. Nick and Kelsie can attest to the fact that it was indeed delicious though! I used my new kitchen aid slicer to make sweet potato chip shapes, but i didn't cook them long enough to be qualified as chips. I'd call them round fries.

BESIDES THE POINT. Here we go. I made an older recipe, but changed it up a bit. Lean turkey sausage was on sale 2 for 5 dollars, so i wanted to get sausage. You're supposed to also add chicken to the dish, but I didn't want to buy double meat at the store, so i skimped. It didn't hurt the taste though, rest assured!



Easy! Here it is:

2 kielbasa lean turkey sausages (Usually one pack)
Technically, 1/2 lb chicken, diced and cooked (I left this out today!)
1 can Northern Beans
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 can diced tomatoes with oil, basil, and oregano (Del Monte makes it)
1 T brown sugar

THATS IT GUYS!

1. Slice up your sausage, throw in a PAM sprayed skillet. Brown it up. (You would also brown up your chicken, all the way cooked through, if you add chicken here.)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and allow to simmer on medium-low for 8-10 minutes until flavors have combined
3. Serve- you can also slice up some green onions for garnish if you have them (I didn't!)

CHEAP MEAL! GO FOR IT!

I also made stuffed tomatoes. Easy as well, if you have a food processor! Here's all I used:

- 4 firm red tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 3-4 T chopped onion
1 T dried parsley
- 1 t olive oil
-1/4 cup bread crumbs (made my own out of sandwich bread)
Salt and Pepper
Parmesan Cheese




1. Cut the tops off of your tomatoes, scoop out the pulp and place in food processor.
2. Place your tomato shells in a baking dish
3. Add to food processor all ingredients EXCEPT the parmesan cheese
4. Pulse ingredients until combined (not until pureed!)
5. Stuff tomato shells with filling
6. Top with Parmesan Cheese
7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or longer until cheese is browned.

There were ZERO leftovers of this meal. Have i ever blogged that there WERE leftovers, I mean seriously!?

Okay, lastly, this past weekend, I had to scramble to get a dish together fast for a party that we went to. My awesome sister-in-law told me to make the 3 ingredient cookies, only, instead of like 3 batches of cookies, just make 12 muffins. Well- I only had white cake mix, so i added some famous spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cloves, and then added the pumpkin and chocolate chips. THEY TURNED OUT AMAZING! Take a look at these guys!




Oh yeah.... you know you're going to try it! So i packed them up, and off we went. Ready in under 2 hours notice!




I still dare someone to try this with chocolate cake mix. I had brownie mix, and I'm a little angry I didn't think to use that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment