Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Sweet Potato Mash..... Because YOU voted for it!

Allow me to first give credit where credit is due. This recipe that we had for HEALTHY potatoes on Thanksgiving came from Eating Well. Note: for you butter, brown sugar, sweet tooth lovers, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!
On the other hand, all you sweet potato lovers who are craving healthy mashed potatoes- here you go.
Also- credit to Mom for making this, I had to work and was unable to help cook the dish! BUT I DID FIND THE RECIPE!




Ingredients

  • 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled and cut into a large dice
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk, warmed slightly
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, optional (I didn't use it!)

Directions

Steam the potatoes in a large covered pan fitted with a steamer basket until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
In a large bowl mash the potatoes with the buttermilk and orange juice. Stir in the zest, salt, and nutmeg. Serve the potatoes topped with the butter, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Tim and I had these last night - they were YUMMY!!!! I didn't have any buttermilk though - so I just used skim milk with a touch of vinegar in it......:-)
    Love you,
    Aunt Kel

    ReplyDelete