Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Don't Judge A Fish By It's Scales: Salmon Cakes and Sesame Noodles

Oh my. This was a winner among the ongoing recipe search. Absolutely delicious. I pulled both of these recipes off of eatingwell.com. If you don't like salmon, sub chicken or tuna. This was budget FRIENDLY, figure FRIENDLY, and VERY palate FRIENDLY! I promise, you don't want to pass this meal up! We scarfed it down!

Salmon Cakes

- 3 slices fresh whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 1 (15-oz) can of salmon, drained
(Make sure you buy boneless skinless canned salmon!)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
-1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (I did about 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
-1 T EVOO

First, break your bread into pieces and process in a food processor until you have very fine breadcrumbs.
Next, start flaking salmon apart in a mixing bowl with a fork.
Add the egg, and mix well!
Add  the scallions, water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and breadcrumbs. MIX THOROUGHLY.



Shape your mixture into 6-8 patties. I did 8 small ones, but you could do 6 slightly bigger ones if you'd like. I also put mine in the fridge for about 15 minutes just to make them hold together a little better before SKILLET TIME!



Heat your skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add your patties to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes





After 5 minutes, flip them and brown the other sides for about 5 more!




Place on a platter and keep warm if your noodles aren't quite finished yet!




There is an optional sauce for these that I will include at the bottom. I took the easy way out, but incase you want it, scroll to the bottom before you finish reading!

Onto ...

Sesame Noodles

-1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T Sesame Oil
- 1 T EVOO
- 1 T rice-wine vinegar, or lime juice
- 3/4 t crushed pepper
- 1/2 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 T dried cilantro (reserve some for garnish) - OPTIONAL
- 2 cups snow peas
-1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds

First, cook your noodles for about 11 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water. (This dish is NOT served warm!)
Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, vinegar, crushed red pepper, most of your scallions, and most of your cilantro.




I bought snow peas in bags, so i clipped the corner and microwaved each small bag for 2 and half minutes. Follow whatever directions come on your peas, or just steam/boil/cook them!
Allow peas to cool
Add the peas, and add your COOLED noodles.




You're ready to plate. I whipped up a little Miracle Whip with a splash or two of soy sauce for a topping on the salmon cakes.




Oh my goodness, these were so good together! We finished off the noodles and had a couple of salmon cakes leftover for lunches this week! THIS MEAL IS SOO GOOD, SO easy, and SO affordable! Try it out and ENJOY :)


Optional Ginger Soy Sauce Topping:

1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 T Mayonnaise
3/4 t freshly grated ginger
1/2 t sesame oil
1/2 t low-sodium soy sauce

Or just splash the soy sauce in the mayonnaise and cheat like I did!



3 comments:

  1. We posted our meals 2 minutes apart! How funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking! Definitely will try this one for Dad! I will eat the sesame noodles though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish that I liked fish. I know it is so good for you, but I just can't stand it. This recipie is something I really want to try though (with chicken). And I tried to follow you as well and blogger said there was an error. Maybe the site is down or something? And I am sorry about the stress fracture. I had one of those in highschool while playing soccer. I tried to play with it, but I eventually couldn't take it. Hopefully it heals quickly and well!

    ReplyDelete