Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Red Curry Vegetable Bowls!


Ingredients:

10 oz frozen corn
1 1/2 cup frozen bell pepper stir fry mix
1 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
1-15 oz can of Coconut Milk (I always use reduced fat)
1 T Red Curry Paste
2 t Soy Sauce
Optional: Basil for serving
Rice or Couscous for serving

Were I to make this again, I would add:
1- 15 oz can chick peas
1 sweet potato diced up, and pre-cooked

Directions:

Bring half the can of coconut milk to a boil. It should thicken up and bubble around the edges.
Whisk in curry paste and stir for 2 minutes, constantly.
Add in 1/2 cup water and remaining coconut milk. Cook 2 more minutes and bring to a steady, low boil.
Add the corn. Cook 2 minutes.
Add edamame. Cook 2 more minutes
Add Stir Fry Mix and soy sauce. Cook about 6 more minutes until veggies are tender and flavors are distributed. If you opt for chick peas and potatoes, add them in as well.

Serve over rice or couscous. I used couscous because I had a lot on hand. WE LOVED IT! Make sure to ladle curry sauce overtop dish so it soaks into the rice. I also chose to slice up some fresh basil to top it off. TOTALLY optional. 


This meal was cheap for us because I happened to have edamame and corn in the freezer and intentionally wanted to use them up. Obviously had soy sauce, so the grocery list was slim (that being the goal this week).

I was aiming for a "Meatless Meal" for both budget and for the nutritious benefits of some of the veggies. We were both FULL afterwards. Its healthy. Its easy. Its quick. Minimal cooking time. 

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment