Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Red Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

So, Nick had asked that I make some enchiladas awhile back. My sister-in-law recommended the ones out of a cook book that both she and Nick have copies of. It's called Eating For Life. While I followed this recipe for the most part, I did add some of my own stuff, and will make a few suggestions for those of you who want to test it out!



Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
1 pound of chicken breast (a little over a pound wouldn't hurt)
4 green onions, chopped
1 jalepenio, seeded and minced
(The recipe called for fresh cilantro, but I forgot about it, so my recipe didn't have cilantro)
10 Whole Wheat Tortillas
(Recipe calls for corn tortillas, use what you want!)
3- 10oz cans Enchilada Sauce
(I used Red, the recipe calls for Green)
1 Cup Skim Cheddar Cheese

Optional Toppings:
*Yes, I said optional, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALL OF THEM!*
Shredded Lettuce to place under enchiladas when serving
Reduced Fat Sour Cream
Sliced Black Olives
Chopped Fresh Tomatoes

Directions:
Place Chicken in a large pot, cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until insides are no longer pink. Drain, cool slightly, and start to shred with 2 forks.

You may want to start pre-heating your oven at this point to 350.




Spray a large saute pan with cooking spray. Add the green onions and jalepeno. If using cilantro, add it here. (I would also suggest possibly dicing up some onion, throwing it in here, maybe put some frozen corn in at this point as well. I didn't do either THIS time) After about 2-3 minutes, add your chicken to the pan.




At this point, pour 2 cans of enchilada sauce in a microwave safe bowl, and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes.
While that is heating, pour remaining can of sauce over chicken mixture.


Allow to simmer together and really season up the chicken.

NOW. Prepare to get messy, but if you prepare ahead of time, not too messy!

1. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray
2. Have the dish VERY NEAR the chicken mixture
3. Have the bowl of sauce VERY NEAR the chicken mixture

Ready? Here we go.

Dip a tortilla in the warm bowl of sauce.
Place in baking dish
Add a scoop of chicken on one end, and roll up.
Turn seam side down in the pan.
REPEAT. 9 TIMES!

Pour remaining warm sauce over enchiladas





Now, sprinkle with A LOT of cheese. Yes, the recipe says 1 cup, but please don't actually measure out a cup. JUST PUT IT ON THERE THE WAY YOU LIKE IT!







Does that look good or what? Pop it in the oven for just 15 minutes.......



And you get some super-cheesy, super-healthy, and super-tasty enchiladas! We went nuts over them!

Place some shredded lettuce on each plate, and serve up the enchies!



 Nick's Plate

(Not a good shot of the lettuce underneath due to the flash, BUT- good shot of those enchiladas!)

I need to work on my food photography!



My plate


ENJOY! Of course, I made the Ultimate Spanish Rice to tag along with this meal. Go find it in the blog if you don't know what I'm talking about by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment