Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Go Fish.... Salmon Packets!

Salmon WRAPPED and topped with Orange Chipotle Salsa

Anyone else afraid to cook fish? Because I am. But, I decided, since I had a Whole Foods gift card, I was going to buy some King Salmon! BECAUSE I COULD! And I did. I have a couple of things to say. First of all, I recommend going somewhere where you can ask them to cut 4 oz filets for you. Don't try and buy some frozen salmon and do this yourself- unless you are an acclaimed chef. Let the seafood experts handle it. OH- tip- ask for the the part of the salmon with the least amount of bones!

Anyways, these little salmon packets were quite tasty. The recipe calls for swiss chard- which I recommend. I ended up using collard greens, and they WORKED, but, not the taste I was expecting. ALSO- my leaves browned up, but I think I know how to save you from that experience, read it in the directions.

I have a sneaky suspicion, NO ONE will try this recipe, but- for my few adventurous cooks out there, this is for you!

Note: This recipe only serves 2. You would need to increase the fish and the greens depending on how many you want to serve.

What You'll Need:

2- 4 oz Salmon Filets
2 Swiss Chard Leaves (Or Collard Greens)
1 Small Orange
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 t Olive Oil

Optional:
I served mine with some Trader Joes Mushroom Risotto.
If you live near a Trader Joes, make the trip. Any risotto would pair well with this dish, so find one that you like! All you do is put a little olive oil in, add the rice, add the seasonings, and add water. Not hard at all!

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and coat a baking dish with cooking spray
2. Grate your orange into a small bowl
3. Peel and chop your orange (Remove seeds if necessary)
If you've never peeled an orange, use a paring knife (Not a potato peeler!) Get rid of all the white pithy part!



4. SEED your chipotle pepper(unless you love fire hot salsa!) and chop very finely
5. Combine orange rind, orange pieces, chipotle pieces, and 1 tsp of the olive oil.  Mix together to form salsa mixture and set aside



6. Prepare salmon filets by brushing with remaining 1 tsp of olive oil, and sprinkling with a little salt and pepper




7. Now, take your 2 Leaves (Swiss Chard or Collard Greens) and SMASH the rib (center) of the leaf with a fork to make the leaf more pliable

8. Place a salmon filet on each leaf. Top with half the salsa.




9. Now, just roll them up, and fold in the sides to form a tight packet around each filet.
10. Place seam side down in a baking dish




11. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, cook to about 135 degrees.

Now, my leaves got pretty browned up. I would suggest maybe dipping the leaves in some chicken broth before wrapping around the salmon, OR, drizzle some water or brother over top after rolling them up! Just a suggestion!

12. Remove from oven, serve with rice, risotto, or any side of your choice!




Cut it open, and you should have a steamed-fresh orange chipotle filet:




If you are sketched out by the leaves- just wrap them in some parchment paper! Same effect. Not sure what the cooking time would be, but probably pretty similar. Its the same idea, this recipe just give you an edible packet!!

ENJOY :)



No comments:

Post a Comment